What is forward head syndrome?
Forward Head Syndrome is the most common and dangerous postural distortion. This condition occurs when your spinal curves weaken and distort causing your head to shift forward on your shoulders. It is a common postural distortion which has many serious and adverse affects on overall health.
Again, the effects of Forward Head Syndrome on the health of the body have been studied extensively. Here are conclusions from medical researchers and other doctors studying physical medicine.
Rene Cailliet, Director of the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation @ University of Southern California, reached the following conclusions regarding Forward Head Syndrome in 1987:
1. Forward Head Syndrome is a result of losing the normal curve of the neck. This distorted posture will cause a mechanical block of optimal spinal function.
2. Forward Head Syndrome from resultant loss of the normal neck curve will lead to abnormal motion of the first 4 cervical vertebrae, which is necessary to produce stimulus for endorphin production. (Endorphins are chemicals produced by the brain and spinal cord to reduce painful stimuli) With inadequate endorphin production, many otherwise non-painful sensa tions are experienced as pain. (i.e. body aches/pains, fibromyalgia, etc.)
3. Forward Head Syndrome can deplete lung capacity by as much as 30%. Shortness of breath can lead to heart and blood vascular disease.
4. Forward Head Syndrome can cause the entire gastrointestinal tract to be affected, particularly the large intestine. Loss of good bowel function and evacuation are a common sequel associated with this postural weakness and may lead to toxic effects and disease in the body.
5. Forward Head Syndrome can pull the entire spine and body out of alignment making it rigid and reduce all body motions. The body then becomes "HUNCHED."
Forward Head Syndrome will cause a lengthing ans axial traction (streching) of the spinal cord as the normal curve in the neck continues to bend and distort forward. This leads to a functional stenosis (narrowing of the diameter of the cord with neurological compression) as the head progressively shifts forward and is left uncorrected. When your posture is locked in this weakened structure there is a permanent and functional reduction of life and energy flow to ALL of the vital organs of your body.
Kapandji, in 1974 concluded that Forward Head Syndrome will reduce the flow of cerebral spinal fluid (the fluid that nourishes your brain and spinal cord). This loss of fluid circulation will further compromise the protection of your brain and spinal cord. The result of this mechanically induced stenosis combined with the lack of fluid circulation is loss of mental activity and loss of physical and mental well being.
FROM FORWARD HEAD SYNDROME
This is what will happen to your spine if Forward Head Syndrome is left uncorrested and is allowed to progressively break down your posture.